Who Are We?
The WMC Experience is an ongoing adventure for building social skills and creating lifetime memories in a safe, beautiful, natural environment. It’s wonderfully crazy and it’s different from our normal, everyday lives. Camp provides time to “unplug” from electronic devices and step outside to try to expand our understanding and experience of our unique natural setting. At camp, we have the opportunity to learn more about plants, animals, outdoor skills and develop deep friendships.
WMC offers a variety of camp opportunities for youth of all ages, families and adults. There’s something for everyone. Secluded, peaceful camp setting with comfortable accommodations and so many activities and amenities that you’ll have to visit more than once to try them all.
White Memorial Camp and Retreat Center (WMC) was originally owned and operated by the Kansas-Oklahoma Conference of the United Church of Christ after the land was donated to the Conference in 1962 by a prominent local family donated in memory of W.H. and Sarah White. For 50 years the K-O Conference ran camps for youth ranging K-12th grade as well as retreats for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Camp is now a separate 501(c)3 non profit organization with close ties to the United Church of Christ. Now a 501c3 nonprofit, White Memorial Camp Management Group, Inc. continues to carry on the legacy of WMC by opening its doors to a broader audience allowing all to experience the joy and wonder of this unique place, disconnect from their daily routine by experiencing the outdoors, and building community.
Experiencing God’s love, enriching lives, and creating a supportive environment surrounded by the beauty of the Flint Hills.
White Memorial Camp Management, Inc. (WMC) and their team are dedicated to providing an environment that allows all peoples from various religious, spiritual, and non-affiliated backgrounds to grow through worship, education and study and to develop a sense of community while having the opportunity to enjoy the unique setting that is White Memorial Camp.
- Camp builds lifelong skills.
- Camp cultivates lifelong friendships.
- Camp enables self-confidence, problem solving, and team building.
- Camp encourages inclusion, social awareness, and people skills.
- Camp promotes outdoor education, connecting with the environment, and other activities unique to a camp setting.
- Camp is fun. Camp is playing hard. Camp is relaxing. Camp is practicing how you want to be, what you believe, and how you connect with others.
- Camp builds faith.
- Camp builds character – sometimes really goofy characters.
- Camp is important.
In addition to the above,
- WMC has nearly 60 years of tradition and experience providing unique, quality summer camp opportunities for all peoples.
- WMC has one of the most unique geological campgrounds around. Where else can you find a peninsula in the prairie? We are removed enough to provide a serene, secluded experience with modern accommodations to make you feel right at home.
- WMC is one of the few camps providing residential opportunities for adults with ID/DD including adaptive activities, specialized diets, nursing and staff care and more.
- Our passion for inclusion and building strong social skills drives our numerous activities.
- We utilize our ziplines, rockwalls, giant swings, axe throwing, shooting sports, fishing, kayaking, disc golf, prairie surfing and other hobbies to help facilitate our mission through good old fashioned outdoor fun.
What do we offer?
We’re open all year round, closing most of our cabins from December – February. Here are some examples of events we host. Funds earned from private events and rentals go toward camp operations and providing quality summer camp experiences for our youth K-12th grade and adults with ID/DD.
- 3 Day Camps for first-time campers to practice being away from home.
- Week-long youth camps for all ages for Church Groups, Organizations, Sports Teams and Adventurers.
- Retreats for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- School functions: field trips, Teambuilding, Envirothon, Students Against Destructive Decisions, and more
- Custom or Partner Camps: utilize our staff, programming, facilities, or any combination to host your event.
- Conference and Worship Center
- College / University teams, student organizations, and campus groups
- Retreats and Respite for companies, nonprofits and special groups
- Family Reunions, Weddings, Celebrations
- Rentals: Lodging, Facility, Activities
- High and LowChallenge Ropes Course and Teambuilding Events
So take a look around, register for a camp or retreat, set up a tour, or contact us for more information!